4628 48th Street, NW
(The Giles/Walde-Carter House)
This house, built by T. J. Giles, and its neighbor
across the street at 4619 were the only houses
on their squares for a quarter century. A mailing
address of “American University Park, DC” was
sufficient for delivery.
The house changed owners almost annually
until it was purchased by the Crown family in
1905. The Crowns occupied it until 1922
when they sold to the Huddlesons. Harvey
Huddleson was a carpenter and built an addition
onto the back of the house.
In 1942, the house was purchased by Martha Walde
Carter, great-aunt of the current owner. Mrs. Carter
was a native Washingtonian, and graduated from Western
High School. She had a fifty year career in real estate.
The current owner, Mrs. Carter’s great-niece, has taken
great care to retain the original architectural
features in the process of adding modern
amenities. The birdbath, garden bench and
boxwood have been garden features since the