Historic Tenleytown - Subdivisions and Neighborhoods

Designated Historic Sites

Several of Tenleytown's historic sites have been designated as landmarks. Dating from before the Civil War (The Rest) to the mid-20th century (Sears, Roebuck & Company,) they demonstrate the historic significance of Tenleytown and provide a sense of continuity. A brief site description is provided. Extensive information is included in the nomination application for each site.


Architect: Unknown
Builder: Charles Jones
Built: c. 1700

The Rest
Armesleigh Park
Private residence

It is believed that the earliest house on this site was a log dwelling begun in 1700 by one Charles Jones. Over the years the house was enlarged and by the early 1800s had evolved into a mansion. Much of the construction would have been completed before building permits were required. The property abutted that of Clean Drinking Manor in nearby Maryland, which was also owned by a Charles Jones, probably a relative. The house is shown on the 1861 Boschke Topographic Map for which the field inspections were done in 1857-8. By 1878 The Rest was owned by Mrs. A. Lyles (Ariana Jones Lyles) and remained in the Jones/Lyles family until 1920.

(Listed in DC Inventory of Historic Sites, 1964)


Architect: n/a
Builder: US Army Corp. of Engineers
Built: 1861

Fort Reno
Bounded by Belt Road, Fessenden Street, Reno Road, and Chesapeake Street, NW

Fort Reno (originally called Fort Pennsylvania) was constructed in the winter of 1861and is one of a ring of Civil War defenses around the City of Washington. The site was selected as it is strategically located in relation to the Rockville Pike (Wisconsin Avenue) and had excellent sight lines, especially to the west. One could and still can stand at the top of the hill between Donaldson and Fessenden Streets and on a clear day see to what is now Tyson's Corner, and even the Shenandoah Mountains. The addition of an advanced battery across what is now Fessenden Street, and a double line of rifle trenches contributed to making the fortification the largest and strongest of the ring forts. General Early's advance near Rockville, MD on July 11, 1864 was first observed by soldiers at Fort Reno. Following the Civil War, an integrated suburban type development, Reno City, occupied a large area in the southwestern part of the Reservation. In the early 20th century, the stone water towers were built and a reservoir constructed underground. By the mid-1940s, Reno City had essentially disappeared. The highest elevation in Washington, DC is located at Fort Reno, on the knoll just west of Alice Deal Junior High School. (click here for pictures and maps).

(Listed in DC Inventory of Historic Sites, 1964)


Architect: John Stokes Redden
Builder: Sears, Roebuck & Co.
Built: 1940

Sears, Roebuck & Co.
4500 Wisconsin Avenue, NW

The Sears building is an example of the Art Deco commercial architectural style. It was designed with parking specifically in mind and the roof-deck parking was an innovative idea. A decade of research into the impact of the car on consumer buying patterns contributed to the store’s design. Other new features included air conditioning and poured-concrete construction. This and other stores built by Sears in the late 1930s focused on the essential functional requirements for retail success. The celebration of the distinguishing architectural features and use of the original building while adding new residential space above makes this building an excellent example of adaptive reuse. (click here for more pictures)

(Listed in DC Inventory of Historic Sites, 1993)


Architect: H. Galloway Ten Eyck pattern book
Builder: B. N. Burgoyne
Built: 1897

The Hilleary T. Burrows House
American University Park
Private residence

Built in the Queen Anne style, the Hilleary T. Burrows House is one of first homes built in the new American University Park subdivision and, because of its location at River Road and 46th Street, remains one of the more visible and familiar. It is an excellent example of a two-story Queen Anne-style home, notable especially for it unusual wrap-around porch and the fact that its original lot remains undivided. It may be the only documented example of a house in Washington, D.C. whose design was taken from a published pamphlet of architectural designs. Because of the house's proximity to Civil War Fort Bayard, it is likely that a rifle trench connecting Fort Bayard with Fort Reno, another Civil War fortification to the east, would have run close to where the house now stands.

Received DC Preservation Award for Excellence in Stewardship in 2004.

(Listed in DC Inventory of Historic Site, 2001)


Architect: Leon E. Dessez; Snowdon Ashford - addition
Builder: Unknown
Built: 1900; 1913 - addition

Engine Co. #20
4300 Wisconsin Avenue, NW

Tenleytown Firehouse was designed by Leon Dessez in the Italianate style. Though rectangular in plan, from the front the original building looked like a foursquare. The original materials were buff colored brick and barrel tile for the roof. There were four periods of firehouse construction prior to WWII. Tenley Firehouse was built in the third of these, 1898-WWI, when firehouses were generally freestanding, located on main thoroughfares and with a one of a kind design. Tenley Firehouse is the second oldest of the nineteen pre-World War II firehouses still fulfilling their original use, and prior to partial demolition preparatory to expansion had the oldest intact interior. The bay built in 1913 to accommodate a motorized hook and ladder has been razed. (click here for more pictures)

(Listed in DC Inventory of Historic Sites, 2002)

c/o DC Fire and EMS Museum
c/o DC Fire and EMS Museum

Architect: Maurice F. Moore
Builder: James J. Galvin
Built: 1927


Yuma Study Center (Convent of Bon Secours)
4101 Yuma Street, NW

Erected for the Sisters of Bon Secours, a nursing order founded in France, the building is an example of the late phase of the Italianate style. The walls are one foot in width, and the roof is variegated green clay tile. Its function is clearly expressed in its style. The main block resembles a house and served as a residence for the Sisters. The exterior of the west wing, which houses the chapel, looks like the apse of a church. A small campanile that served as a chimney joins the two parts of the building. After WWII, nursing evolved into a professional medical career and the need for nursing sisters lessened. In 1966, the convent ceased operation, and the building was sold to the French Embassy and became the French International School. From 1975 – 2000, the Oakcrest School occupied the building.  Plans are underway to renovate and add on to the building that will house a women’s study center.

Received DC Preservation Award for Excellence in Design and Construction in 2014.

(Listed in DC Inventory of Historic sites, 2004)


Architect: Craftsman Architects
Builder: Unknown
Built: 1911

Dumblane
Private residence

The design for Dumblane is loosely based on Craftsman House #10 (1904), and reflects both the design philosophy of Gustav Stickley and the preferences of the original owners. Occupied by its first owner until 1962 and altered very little by subsequent owners, the house retains its initial integrity. Though the size of the property has been somewhat reduced over the years, the still spacious grounds maintain the typical Craftsman relationship between interior and exterior space. (click here fore more pictures)

Received DC Preservation Award for Excellence in Stewardship in 2009.

(Listed in DC Inventory of Historic Sites, 2005)

Dumblane West Facade April 2007


Architect: Howard W. Cutler
Builder: C. H. Brooks
Built: 1926

The City Church
(formerly Eldbrooke United Methodist Church)

4100 River Road, NW

In 2008 The City Church purchased Eldbrooke United Methodist Church. Eldbrooke Church was established in 1840 and played a vital role in the history of Tenleytown. The handsome 1926 Spanish Colonial Revival building, situated at the corner of River Road and Murdock Mill Road adjacent to the Sears Building in Tenleytown, is the fourth Methodist church building on this site. The first church, called Mount Zion Methodist, was erected in 1840 and was rebuilt after the Civil War. A larger church was built there in 1899, and the name was changed to Eldbrooke, honoring community members Aquila Eld and Philip Brooke.

The church is constructed of steel and tile, with a red tile roof and textured stucco exterior. All of the exterior ornamentation is cast cement. The roof retains its original red tiles. The gabled façade is ornamented with a bas-relief in the multi-curved Spanish Baroque style. A square bell tower is attached to the front southeast corner of the building. The sanctuary contains numerous stained glass windows donated by and in memory of church members.

City Church has embraced the history of its new home while adapting it to its own style of worship.

(Listed in DC Inventory of  Historic Sites, 2008)

Stained Glass Windows


Architect: N/A
Builder: N/A
Built: est. 1855

The Methodist Cemetery
Murdock Mill Road (between River Road and Albemarle Street, NW)

In 1855 twelve Tenleytown men purchased land along Murdock Mill Road and established The Methodist Cemetery. The twelve represented many of the founding families of Tenleytown and it is believed that their purchase of the land formalized a use already in practice. Though most of the founders were also members of the adjacent Mount Zion Methodist Church, later Eldbrooke United Methodist, and now The City Church, the cemetery has always been independently owned and maintained, a fact that distinguishes it from contemporary cemeteries. In the mid-nineteenth century, burials customarily were on private land or in church-affiliated cemeteries.

The cemetery's proximity to Fort Reno made it an attractive campsite for soldiers during the Civil War, an unanticipated use that resulted in significant damage, including the loss of grave markers. The unfortunate result is that the Association's list of burials may be incomplete.

The cemetery is the final resting place of many of Tenleytown's early residents. It is owned and maintained by The Methodist Cemetery Association whose members are descendants/relatives of those buried in the cemetery.

Received DC Preservation Award for Excellence in Stewardship in 2010.

(Listed in DC Inventory of  Historic Sites, 2008)

Methodist Cemetary Spring 2008


Architect: Leon Chatelain, Jr.
Builder: Jeffress-Dyer, Inc.
Built: 1947

Western Union Tower
4623 41st Street, NW

The Western Union Telegraph Company tower represents a milestone in engineering history. The main structure was constructed to serve as a “beam terminal,” i.e., a transmission and receiving station. It was to serve as the southern terminal station in the Western Union New York-Washington-Pittsburgh radio relay triangle, a significant step in the development of modern communications and the first commercial network of its kind in the U.S.

Constructed of limestone and brick in a style reminiscent of Art Deco and Moderne periods, this is very possibly the only architect-designed facility, designed solely as an antenna system, in the country. Purpose built, the Western Union Tower is a rare example of very specialized construction in its period. Based on an application submitted by Consulting Historian David Rotentstein this site had previously been deemed eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places by the DC Historic Preservation Review Board in 2003.

(Listed in DC Inventory of Historic Sites, 2008)

Western Union


Architect: Edward Donn
Builder: Unknown
Built: 1932-1933

Garden Club Entrance Markers
Northwest and Northeast corners of Wisconsin and Western Avenues

Between April 1932 and October 1933, pairs of stone markers, designed by architect Edward Donn and constructed of Aquia Creek sandstone, were erected at six entrances to the city. Three pairs, and two isolated examples survive intact including the pair at Friendship Heights. The markers are decorated with the seal of Maryland on one side and, on the other side, a District cartouche with a bas-relief of George Washington standing with Lady Justice, a laurel wreath, rising sun and depiction of the Capitol dome. The dedication panel bearing the inscription'sť remains intact on the Wisconsin Avenue side of the marker on the east side of Wisconsin Avenue. The marker on the west side was removed during construction on the site and has been cleaned and reinstalled with a protective fence and planting.

(Listed in the DC Inventory of Historic Sites, 2008)


Architect: Albert Harris
Builder: George E. Wyne
Built: 1925

Janney Elementary School
4130 Albemarle Street, NW

Built to relieve overcrowding at the 1882 Tenley School, Janney Elementary School opened in 1925 during a period of growth in Tenleytown. Janney was described in The Washington Star (4/12/1925, Part 1, page 5) as “the last word in modern schoolhouse construction. It will have two distinctive features which other buildings of its type in the District lack's a combination gymnasium and assembly hall and adequate outdoor play space.” The new Janney school, consisting of its central block and east wing, still couldn't accommodate all the students at the Tenley School. Initially, the third through eighth grade students moved from Tenley School to Janney and in 1926, Janney had 518 students. Its peak enrollment was 708 in 1951-52.

In 1926 just a year after the school's opening, Blanche Pulizzi, Janney’s first principal provided space in the school for Tenleytown's first branch public library. Janney's playground served as the community playground from 1925 to 1958.

The 1932 addition of Janney’s west wing completed the planned phased construction of the extensible school. With the 1931 opening of Alice Deal Junior High School seventh and eighth grade students could move to Deal and the kindergarten through second grade students still at Tenley School to could move to Janney. Janney became a kindergarten through sixth grade school and has remained so for more than three quarters of a century. As in the past, however, Janney’s enrollment recently challenged its physical capacity, so in the fall of 2009, sixth grade students moved to the newly enlarged Alice Deal Junior High School. An addition to Janney has been designed with construction expected to start in 2010.

Janney Elementary School has a tradition that began in the 1960s of welcoming out of bounds students. From the beginning, Janney has had a reputation for excellence fostered by a succession of gifted and dedicated principals supported by an outstanding faculty.

(Listed in the DC Inventory of Historic Sites, 2009)


Architect: Snowdon Ashford
Builder: Pavarini and Greer
Built: 1903



 

Jesse Reno School
4820 Howard Street, NW

The Jesse Reno School was built in 1903 for African American children. Designed by municipal architect Snowden Ashford, the school had four rooms on the first floor and four on the basement level. Its formal Renaissance-style design acknowledges the dignity of learning, and its large windows let in air and light, reflecting educational principles of its time.

The Jesse Reno School served kindergarten through eighth grade. The students were residents of Reno City, a community that came into existence during the Civil War, when enslaved people fled their owners and began to congregate around Fort Reno. Reno City was subdivided into building lots in 1869, and African Americans who were already living around the remains of the fort were joined by freed slaves from elsewhere. Reno City became a racially integrated working-class community that was about 75% black and 25% white. By the time the Jesse Reno School was built, Reno City had approximately one hundred buildings, including homes, churches, stores, and a Masonic lodge.

In the 1920s there was pressure by residents of the surrounding all-white, middle-class neighborhoods to remove Reno City and use the land for the construction of Fort Reno Park and Deal Junior High and Wilson Senior High Schools. The city began to acquire Reno City properties and ultimately condemned those that the owners refused to sell. As black residents of Reno City were displaced, the enrollment at Reno School declined. The school closed in 1950. The building was later used as a Civil Defense Office, and in the 1970s and '80s it became the Rose School for students with special needs. It had been vacant for many years, and the interior has been badly vandalized. In 2014 the school was repaired and restored. The front entrance which had been removed was recreated. The original floor plan on its main floor has been retained. A connector to Deal Middle School was built and Reno is again serving its original educational purpose as part of Deal. Tenleytown Historical Society created an exhibit, located in the Reno building and the new connector, on the history of Reno School and the Reno community.

(Listed in the DC Inventory of Historic Sites, 2009)

Jesse Reno Elementary

Jesse Reno Elementary


Architects:
         R. McGhee & Associates
         Quinn Evans Architects Builder: MCN Build
Restoration: 2014

Architect: Nathan C. Wyeth, Edward Donn, Frederick V. Murphy, Albert Harris
Builder: Unknown
Built: 1934-1935
Woodrow Wilson High School Logo

Woodrow Wilson Senior High School
3950 Chesapeake Street, NW

Wilson High School sits on a triangular parcel of land near the city's highest natural elevation at Fort Reno. The school consists of a five-part building complex with a central block surrounding a courtyard and end wings organized along an arc facing Nebraska Avenue. It is built of red brick in an Academic Colonial Revival style, following the Palladian composition of a five-part symmetrical plan connecting secondary wings to a main block with one-story hyphens. Most of the classrooms are housed in the central block that is flanked by an auditorium to the south and library (the original gymnasium) to the east. The auditorium and library are connected to the main building by enclosed and arcaded walkways. Additions include a gym built in 1971 and a new swimming pool (2008) on the site of the original (1976) one.

The building is covered with a low-pitched hipped roof, adorned with a prominent cupola on-center of the front wing. Designed to accommodate 1,500 students from the surrounding neighborhoods, Wilson opened in September 1935 with 770 junior and sophomore students. Wilson's current student body comes from all areas of the city. The school was formally dedicated in March 1936 with President Wilson's widow in attendance. The school mascot, the Wilson tiger, is apparently based on that of Princeton University where President Wilson earned his undergraduate degree.

Wilson has maintained a strong emphasis on academics throughout its history. As of 2008, ninety percent of its students continued their formal education at two- or four-year colleges. Wilson students have also excelled at athletics.

(Listed in the DC Inventory of Historic Sites, 2010)

An areial view of Woodrow Wilson H.S.


Architect: T. J. Giles
Builder: T. J. Giles
Built: 1899
Giles/Wade-Carter House  1916

Walde-Carter House
Private residence

This house is one of American University Park’s earliest houses, (American University Park) built during the initial phase of development.  It is a two story frame wooden building on a stone foundation, stylistically transitional between the Queen Anne and American Four-square.  The primary elevation is divided into three bays with an entry on center and a tower above.  The tower is semi-hexagonal with a single window on each of the three sides.  Original wood floors, baseboards and trim are found throughout the house. This house and its neighbor across the street at 4619 were the only houses on their squares for a quarter century.  Built on two lots, it retains its original appearance from the street.  The house has been in the current owner’s family for over sixty years. Tenleytown resident Tom Giles, the architect and builder, was active in home building and selling real estate in old Tenleytown.

(Listed in the DC Inventory of Historic Sites, 2011)


Architect: Unknown
Builder: Unknown
Built: c. 1850

The Samuel and Harriet America Burrows House
American University Park
Private residence

The Samuel and Harriet America Burrows House, one of the earliest in the area, evokes a time when farming, especially on sizeable acreage, was a very prestigious occupation. Acquired in 1857, the two-story frame house is characteristic of its time and place. It is enhanced by Italianate style detailing, notably the windows on the front facade. The front elevation is divided into three bays with an entry door in the left bay. A porch wraps around the front and east side of the house up to the projecting bay. The farm abutted Fort Bayard and during the Civil War part of the acreage was commandeered for billeting troops and a parade ground. Despite their southern sympathies, the family was hospitable to the Union soldiers who sometimes expressed their gratitude in the form of gifts. Descendants tell of Abraham Lincoln's visit to the house after he reviewed the troops at Fort Bayard. Harriet America Burrows lived in the house until 1923. It was sold by her heirs in 1925, and in 1928 it was moved to Verplanck Place, once named Tenley Place, approximately ten blocks southwest of it original location.

Samuel Burrows with his brothers, John and Levi, also owned a large adjacent farm. It was this farm that Samuel Burrows sold, after the deaths of his brothers, to the developers of American University Park subdivision. This house may have served as an informal model for the first subdivision houses built in the late nineteenth century.

(Listed in DC Inventory of Historic Sites, 2011)


Architect: None listed
Builder: B. H. Burgoyne
Built: c. 1897

The Robert and Lillie Stone House
American University Park
Private residence

Built as part of the initial phase of development in American University Park, the permit for this house was the third of ten issued in 1897. Its photograph appears in the promotional booklet for the new subdivision. The house is named for its long-time (1903-1963) owners. Robert Stone worked in real estate in the firm of his father, David Stone, who with J. D. Croissant developed American University Park. The property initially occupied four lots on the corner of 47th and Ellicott Streets. The two and a half story structure built on a rubble stone foundation sits above grade and is distinguished by a pentagonal shaped corner tower which dominates the facade. Each side of the tower contains windows on the first and second stories. Covered in rustic siding when built, the exterior is now clad with a pebble-dash stucco finish. The first owner of the house was Maria Weems, a widow who lived in Anne Arundel County. There is no evidence to indicate why she bought the house or that she ever lived there.

(Listed in DC Inventory of Historic Sites, 2011)


Architect: N. Webster Chappell
Builder: A. C. Warthen
Built: c. 1909-1910

The N. Webster Chappell House
Tenleytown
Private residence

The first decade of the twentieth century brought new city services to Tenleytown: a firehouse, a water tower and reservoir and a telephone exchange. By 1909, the streetcar connection operated between Friendship Heights and downtown. Web Chappell, a member of one of Tenleytown's oldest families had designed one of the original American University Park houses. With projecting bays and a wrap-around porch, this two-story house, which he designed for himself is similar in style and massing to the AU Park house. Chappell designed and built several other houses in Tenleytown and at least one commercial establishment. Chappell was a past Most Worshipful Master of the Singleton Masonic Lodge in Tenleytown, and is thought to be the first in Tenleytown to own a motor car, a Maxwell one-seater!

The land on which the Chappell House sits was once part of the Murdock tract that became the nineteenth-century Dunblane estate. It is situated in a swath of historically significant Tenleytown sites, from Eldbrooke (now City) Church to Janney Elementary School on the north, the Convent of Bon Secours on the east, and Dunblane/Immaculata and Dumblane to the south.

(Listed in DC Inventory of Historic Sites, 2011)


Architect: A. O. Von Hurbulis
Builder: Brennan Construction Co.
Built: 1904

Immaculata Seminary and Dunblane
American University Tenley Campus
4340 Nebraska Avenue, NW

In 1904 The Sisters of Providence of St. Mary of the Woods, with the support of Cardinal Gibbons and St. Ann's pastor, Father Mallon, purchased the property on which they built Immaculata Seminary. The Sisters of Providence focused on education and members of the order had been in Indiana since 1840. Immaculata was to be a select school for both boarders and day students. In addition to the wide range of academic subjects, students benefited from the cultural opportunities in the Capital, as well as from the extensive grounds available for games. Classes were provided to students from elementary through junior college level. By the mid-1980s, the members of the Sisters of Providence were declining in number, and those that remained were advanced in years, one of the significant realities that led the Sisters to close the school.

The Baroque Classical Revival building is three stories tall and clad in limestone. The facade is divided into five parts, a narrow central entry pavilion with wider projecting end wings connected by long, five-bay, three story hyphens. The chapel, no longer used for its original purpose, is a double-height basilican-plan structure and has a gable roof.

Shortly after acquiring the land for Immaculata, the Sisters of Providence acquired Dunblane and adapted the building for use as its elementary school.

Dunblane is one of two extant nineteenth century estates in Tenleytown. It was likely built by Clement Smith c. 1818-1839 as a country retreat and was owned by a succession of prominent Georgetown residents. From the mid-1880s to 1892, the estate was the site of the Dunblane Hunt, an activity that engaged many prominent Washingtonians.

Dunblane is a two story Greek Revival style building with a pyramidal hipped roof capped with a central cupola. The precise date of construction, architect and builder are not known. The original structure is divided into three bays with a wider entry bay and two window bays. There have been additions; a two story wing on the east, probably mid-nineteenth century, a two story wing on the west built in the 1930s and a one story wing further west built in the 1970s. American University purchased the property in 1986.

(Listed in the DC Inventory of Historic Sites, 2011)


Architect: Eidlitz & McKenzie - Original
McKenzie, Voorhees and Gmelin - 1st addition
Waddy Wood - 2nd addition
Builder: John McGregor - Original
S.J. Prescott & Co. - 1st addition
Built: 1907-08 - Original
1926 - 1st addition
1931-32; 1960 -2nd addition

C&P Telephone Building (Verizon)
Cleveland-Emerson Exchange
4268 Wisconsin Avenue, NW

The existing building sits on the site of the first (1907-1908) telephone exchange building in Tenleytown and consists of three phases of development: 1927;1931-32 and circa 1960. The growth of telephone subscribers from 896 in 1883 to over 40,000 by 1905 prompted C&P to expand its downtown headquarters and also to construct several branch buildings. The Cleveland exchange, named for President Grover Cleveland, was established to serve Tenleytown and Cleveland Park. Initially the Cleveland Exchange operated out of private homes but in 1907-8 the first purpose-built Cleveland exchange building was erected on the present site. In 1926-27 to accommodate the increasing number of subscribers, a new buff brick building was built to the rear of the original building. Two of the walls of this second building are still evident. The transition from manual to dial occasioned another building expansion which replaced the 1907-08 building and was built in front of the 1926 addition. Built in two stages, the building was finally completed circa 1962. Built of smooth-cut limestone-clad brick, with stripped classical massing, it has Art Deco detailing in front of and abutting the earlier buff brick Classical Revival-style Exchange building.

(Listed in the DC Inventory of Historic Sites, 2016)


4112-41114 Chesapeake Street, NW

4116-4118 Chesapeake Street, NW
c. P. Sefton

Architect: William L. Conley
Builder: Perna Brothers
Built: 1909

Interior detail 4112 Chesapeake Street, NW

Perna Houses
4112-4118 Chesapeake Street, NW

At the end of the 19th century, the Perna brothers, Francesco/Frank and Luigi/Louis emigrated to the United States from Calabria, Italy, an area noted for its stone buildings. Both were experienced stone masons and came to Washington, DC upon hearing that there were many construction projects underway. The families of both brothers grew and many family members lived in the area of the Chesapeake Street houses. Also in the area, near the intersection of Chesapeake and 42nd Streets was the Perna stone yard.

The Perna brothers built several other houses in Tenleytown, some of which have been razed. However, the houses at 4619 and 4621 42nd Street remain.

The Chesapeake Street houses, still owned by a Perna descendant, reflect Tenleytown’s transition from a village-like settlement to a streetcar “suburb within the city” and introduce a more urban form of housing to the neighborhood. They are early examples of the many stone buildings in Tenleytown. The front facades are rectangular sandstone blocks of various sizes and vary in color from red to purple. They are best described as a pair of duplex houses, two stories tall with attics and raised basements.

The Perna brothers also worked on the Rock Creek Parkway bridge, All Souls Episcopal Church on Cathedral Avenue, and the Washington Monument.

(Listed in the DC Inventory of Historic Sites, 2017)


Interior detail 4114 Chesapeake Street, NW
c. K. Williams



Site maintained by Brite Technologies LLC