Historic Tenleytown - Subdivisions and Neighborhoods

Landmark Applications Pending

Letters in support of applications are encouraged, and may be sent to the Historic Preservation Review Board by mail, fax or email. They should include the case number (in parentheses below.)

By mail:
Historic Preservation Review Board
1100 4th Street, SW, Suite E650
Washington, DC 20024

By fax: 202/442-7638  By email: Timothy.Dennee@dc.gov


Architect: Eidlitz & McKenzie - Original
McKenzie, Voorhees and Gmelin - 1st addition
Waddy Wood - 2nd addition
Builder: John McGregor - Original
S.J. Prescott & Co. - 1st addition
Built: 1907-08 - Original
1926 - 1st addition
1931-32; 1960 -2nd addition

C&P Telephone Building (Verizon)
Cleveland-Emerson Exchange
4268 Wisconsin Avenue, NW

(Case # 09-06) The existing building sits on the site of the first (1907–1908) telephone exchange building in Tenleytown.  In 1883 there were 896 telephone subscribers.  By 1905 that number had grown to 40,000.  C&P, in response to demand in the city’s growing residential neighborhoods, built branch exchange buildings.  The Cleveland exchange, named for President Grover Cleveland, was established to serve Tenleytown and Cleveland Park. From 1,900 subscribers in 1908, the Cleveland exchange grew to 13,000 in 1926, reflecting Tenleytown’s population increase.  To accommodate the increase in subscribers, an addition was built at the rear of the original building.  Two of the walls are still evident.  The transition from manual to dial occasioned another building expansion.  This addition replaced the 1907–08 building and was built in front of the 1926 addition.  Built in two stages, the building was finally completed circa 1962.  Built of smooth–cut limestone–clad brick, with stripped classical massing, it has Art Deco detailing in front of and abutting the earlier buff brick Classical Revival-style Exchange building.


Architect: Arthur B. Heaton, Jr.
Builder: Samuel J. Prescott Company
Built: 1934

Western Bus Garage (WMATA)
5230 Wisconsin Avenue, NW (facing 44th St.)

(Case # 06-03) The Western Bus Garage is one of two known extant bus garages in the District of Columbia built specifically for the storage and servicing of buses. In 1998 E.H.T. Traceries, Inc. submitted a multi-property nomination for streetcar and bus facilities in the District of Columbia. This comprehensive document details the history of streetcars and buses from the 1862 establishment of the Washington and Georgetown Railway to 1962 when the electric trolleys made their last runs.

The Western Bus Garage's main facade on 44th Street is built of reinforced concrete, steel and brick in a trapezoidal shape and is given monumental treatment in tapestry brick and limestone. While utilizing modernistic motifs of the 1930s Art Deco/Art Moderne period, this facade might be described as stripped classical in style. The color and texture of the brick create the sense of architectural style.

Western Bus Garage



site by carmody information design, llc